RPM submission script

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 8 10:26:38 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 07:51:18PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>:
> > take the Description field of cups and try to encode it in utf-8.
> >
> > the (R) next to UNIX is the latin-1 (R) as one byte so you end up having
> > to drop the character entirely Unless you provide a mapping, for every
> > existent encoding.
>
> Eh?  Did somebody change Unicode so the low 256 chars aren't Latin-1
> while I wasn't looking?

At least UTF-8 has only the lower 127 characters common with
latin1. All other latin1 characters are multibyte.

> > so mandating utf-8 is great, if you also do it in rpm spec files, and
> > filenames, etc, etc, etc.
>
> I think that would actually be a reasonable policy stipulation for Fedora.
> But we don't have to settle that argument in order to write fedora-submit.

I think these issues are overdiscussed perhaps. Did rpm ever define
the encoding of the specfiles? There is (little used) provision for
providing i18n descriptions within specfiles. What is the encoding for
these?

If rpm had defined any encoding, then assume this for iconv and any
non-conforming specfile will automatically be detected.

If not, then let's define as of now, that rpm specfiles have to be
encoded in UTF-8.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de