Re: Warren's Package Naming Proposal - Revision 2

Pozsar Balazs wrote:

PLEASE, take a look at dpkg's and apt-get's way of handling pre-release versions, I really do think that should be used in rpm-based distros too.
The idea is to introduce a character, namely '~' (tilde), which is sorted specially: in comparison it comes before anything else.

This way, you can get ordering like this:

1.0~alpha1 < 1.0~alpha2 < 1.0~beta < 1.0 < 1.0a < 1.0b
1.0~pre1 < 1.0~rc1 < 1.0 < 1.0.1 < 1.0.2
... and so on.

Hope you got the point.

I know it should be implemented in rpm, and this is not a trivial move, but please do think about it. It will make all these pre-release-versioning nightmares go away.

Interesting concept. This is the first time I heard of this. It would take a serious amount of analysis to figure out if this can be implemented in rpm in a way that wont break backward compatibility. There is also the question of if we *want* to do this or not. Much discussion is needed. In any case it would take a long time to analyze if we want to implement this in rpm and all related tools or not. I currently have no opinion on this matter because I don't know enough about it.

In the mean time this package naming scheme describes how to properly avoid packaging problems in the rpm of today.

Warren