Some fedora devel inconsistencies...

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Nov 13 21:56:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 23:28, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeu 13/11/2003 à 21:46, seth vidal a écrit :
>
> > > The silly program won't update unrelated stuff like bash & vim just
> > > because of those errors (ok I'll say it - apt is smarter. I'd return to
> > > it except all the directory shuffling seems to have killed the apted
> > > rawhide mirrors I knew of before)
> >
> > You're right - if you specify 'yum update' and something fails, it won't
> > run the update. That's behavior that, to me, protects the user from
> > stupid stupid shite.
> I don't expect yum to do miracles and update when dependencies are not
> satisfied. Blocking on unrelated packages dep errors OTOH is a bit
> excessive IMHO.

OTOH apt occasionally gets pretty wild ideas how to "fix" something when
all dependencies aren't met: someone on freshrpms list just complained
about apt wanting to remove 330 packages from his system after
(obviously partial) upgrade from RHL 7.3 to 9 - that's not particularly
productive behavior either :)

	- Panu -