Why is ide-scsi not provided in Arjan's 2.6 kernel?

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Fri Nov 14 21:38:30 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 21:36, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> *moved to devel-list*
>
> Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose at wanadoo.es> said:
>
> >>I hope to see a 2.4.x kernel in FC2 _too_. Otherwise it will be a lame
> >>distribution.
>
> > What would be lame about not including an old kernel?
>
> If 2.6 doesn't bring _all functional features_ that 2.4 has, it will
> be necessary a backup 2.4 kernel.
> Today must-fix.txt and should-fix.txt(PRI1) are big lists.
>
> > Including multiple kernel versions (especially from different major
> > release trains) greatly increases complexity for very little gain.
>
> Mandrake 9.2 and SuSE 9.0 bring 2.6 & 2.4 kernels. If they are able to do it,
> why not Fedora ?

Providing 2.6 kernels nowadays is demagogic and wrong: every stable
kernel I have known (and I have know them since 1.0) has had teething
problems in the first weeks or months of existence.  And here it is
worse since we are talking of a pre-release version.

My criteria for a kernel being "distribution-ready" is if Linus has
opened development for the next version.  Until he has done that it
means he thinks there are too many bugs waiting to be squashed for
allowing people spending their time in a new kernel.

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr>