OpenOffice.org and Java in Fedora

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 22:28:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've completed adding the required bits to the specfile.  I hope to
release a 1.1.0-7 fairly soon that includes the enable-java stuff and RH
9 build support for those of you wanting it.  Unfortunately, Mozilla
address book integration won't work on RH9 because the system mozilla is
built with gcc 2.96 and OOo with 3.2.2...  However, the rest should be
fine (oh, minus startup-notification though).

I also merged required enable-java stuff to gnome.org OOo (ie Ximianized
OOo) so when I switch over to that you'll have it if you'd like it.

If you do build with Java, the following things are true:

1) openoffice.org RPM will require libawt.so
2) RPMs will be named as such:
openoffice.org-1.1.0-7.withjava.rpm
openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.0-7.withjava.rpm
openoffice.org-libs-1.1.0-7.withjava.rpm

Still for the future, Red Hat won't be building and distributing
Java-enabled builds of OOo for Fedora.  This will change immediately
when Java gets a license compatible with the license under which Fedora
is distributed, or when gcj support gets into OOo.

Cheers,
Dan