SMP i586?

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 15:47:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:07:42AM +0100, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> Search the list archives; I believe SMP was dropped from RH9 or Fedora
> because it never was really popular for i586 (and didn't perform that
> well too). You can build an i586 SMP kernel yourself...

That's correct.  We don't have any functional i586 SMP hardware that
I'm aware of either.

If it's just for one machine, it's probably best for Lamar to just
rebuild the kernel for his machine (sorry, Lamar!), but if there are
really a significant number of people who will not only use after
release, but *test before release* on i586 SMP, then it's at least
worth discussion of whether or not to re-enable it.  (Part of the
downside being forcing everyone to download those bits when they
get the ISOs, and then we get to also argue about what other bits
are being traded off the ISOs...)

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/