Idea for ftp (apt yum) mirrors

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 30 18:26:07 UTC 2003

Jos Vos writes:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 06:06:18PM +0100, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
>
>> I don't know if javascript can do this but I just use for explaining the
>> idea.
>>
>> You could also enhance apt or yum with this.
>>
>> Does this exist? Is it possible? If it possible/exists why does nobody
>> use it.
>
> Javascript (brrr...) would only work with a (graphical) browser, while
> lost of downloads are done via command-line ftp (ncftpget) or http
> (curl, wget) clients.

The default list of up2date sources already uses an HTTP redirect:

Nov 24 07:11:05 Privoxy(-1158255696) Request: fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1/headers/header.info
Nov 24 07:11:05 Privoxy(-1158255696) Request: download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header.info

Looking at the logs, _EVERY_ request from up2date gets redirected in this
fashion.  This actually slows things down for no good reason.

The only thing that needs to be done here is to have up2date pay attention
to the first redirect, and all subsequent requests would go directly to the
redirected site; then have the original redirector check the available
mirrors, and choose the most appropriate one for the client's request.