Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Wed Oct 1 15:27:53 UTC 2003

Sean Millichamp wrote:
> on some machines.  However, for at least half of the machines I manage
> even RHEL Basic Edition will be too expensive on a per-year basis so I
> know that I will have no choice but to be supporting at least Fedora.

Red Hat could offer you a redistribution contract. You pay a fairly high
fee for the right to redistribute the updates to you customers. It
should be managed so that the per customer/system price you must charge
is reasonable to the customer, say $50/year/system. You then setup you
own RHN satellite server, that only your customers can access.
I know Red Hat offers a satellite service of some sort, but I don't know
the details.

I this model _YOU_ are Red Hat's customer, not your customers. Every
system you install/maintain is in the support contract you pay for (So
100 systems/month is ~1200 systems this year). You pay the fee for 1000+
systems, which includes discounts I'm sure, and resell to your
customers. Any customers that have a large enought installation (say 100
or 250 systems) would be requred to purchase direct from Red Hat,
posibly contracting you for performing the maintaince.

	-Thomas