video player in fedora?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 16:11:39 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 04:29, axel c wrote:
> Also, do
> these programs bring licensing issues?

Do they ever. I don't think you can play many of the interesting video
formats without issues. (See one of the dozens of HUGE threads on this
list, and many other Red Hat lists, in the past. And no we can't include
the stuff with licensing issues and this will not change, again, see
those threads.)

For video player in Core, I'd like to see one of the toolkit-based
players (either GTK+ or Qt).
See http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/desktop/defaults.html

The general approach should be to have a player that uses a generic
media framework such as gstreamer; and then third parties can add
plugins. A player that has to link to plugins directly or via
non-generic interfaces will not permit third party plugins.

Havoc