Fedora and Fedora Legacy package versioning schemes

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Mon Oct 6 14:48:27 UTC 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 05:17, Axel Thimm uttered:
> I personally like that. so how about conaming "RHL X" to "Fedora Core
> 0.X" resulting to tags like foo-1.2.3-4_fdr0.7.3 (non-numeric upstream
> versions, kernel modules and other special cases aside)?

I think the "fdr" part should be removed all together.  Packages are kept in
different directory trees for the relative distro.  If some poor user pulls a
rpm from a FedoraCore/ directory and expects it to work on Mandrake, thats
his problem, not ours.

I've always disliked the text tags (rhl9, fdr, fr2, etc..) and I feel that
they are indicitive of 3'rd party rpms.  Fedora.us and Fedora Legacy are less
3'rd party and thus shouldn't suffer the headache of text tags.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: