Suggestion for initscripts

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Fri Oct 10 23:36:24 UTC 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:

> Every service just tells which service it needs to have running. And if
> that doesn't run yet it just tries to start it.
>
> Possible other advantage I see, is that you might start services in
> parallel, which can save some time during booting :-)

OSX's SystemStarter is similar in operation to this.  It sucks, mostly
because of the implementation, but sometimes you have to rig the
StartupItems to get the dep order right else it'll toss up the loginwindow
while doing something like resyncing your DNS cache files for the
secondaries it serves (which can be CPU intensive if you are a secondary
for 500 zones :)

Personally, chkconfig works well for me, I'm happy on my linux system and
the Solaris weenies can still figure out what's starting up and when which
keeps them from cluttering my cube.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free