First Unofficial Fedora Bug Day: Tomorrow err I mean Today!!!!!!!!!

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Wed Oct 15 04:21:30 UTC 2003

What: Fedora Bug Day!!!!!
  When: Oct 15 09:00 EDT about 21:00 EDT
    Where: #fedora-bugs on the freenode irc network
      Why: to clean up bugzilla bug reports that need more info
        Who: Anyone who wants to help make the fedora developers more
	  efficient

In an effort to get the ball rolling on a fedora community based
bugzilla triage effort, I am hereby decreeing that tomorrow
Wednesday October 15, 2003 the first unofficial Fedora Bug day, and
every Weds there after to be Fedora Bug Days until the end of time, or
someone more competent wants to be in charge and wants to change the
date. In an effort to control the chaos, during tomorrow's first attempt
at this..I want to try to focus effort on bugs that need more
information to be useful. I'd like to also like to encourage anyone
interested in translation work to possibly take this bug day opportunity
to take a crack at going back and sweeping up outstanding translation
bugtickets in bugzilla. The goal here isn't to create a whole new set of
bugs, the goal is to get as many existing bugs as possible closed..or at
the very least in shape to be closed by developers.

"But Jef...what exactly is the point of a Bug Day?"

Good question. The basic idea of a Fedora Bug Day, is a chance for
us...the Fedora community to spend some quality time cleaning up Fedora
bugzilla so the developers can spend less time sifting through lots of
duplicate or incomplete bug reports and spend more time fixing bugs that
can be fixed right away. The basic concept of bugzilla triage is that
community members go through bugzilla fixing up bug reports that need
information or confirmation so developers don't have to do this sort of
routine day-to-day maintenance, and hopefully as a result developers
spend more time fixing bugs than they do asking for clarifying
information in bugreports.

The Gnome bugsquad project is a good starting point in the process of
building guidelines and policies for people interested in helping out in
the fedora bugzilla triage effort:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/bugsquad

And specifically for those people interested in participating in
Fedora Bug Days, reading about how Gnome handles bug days would be
quite useful:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/bugsquad/triage/faq.html#II

Gnome's bugsquad project idea relies heavily on having trusted community
members being able to modify existing bugreports. And eventually I hope
to have a core group of fedora community members with the same sort of
access to edit bugsreports (without stepping on the toes of the existing
Red Hat QA team of course)...but in the beginning we can do a lot just
by focusing on the bugs that need more information and working to fill
those in, so the bugs can be closed by developers.

So tomorrow...if you have some time, try to read over how Gnome handles
triage, and then try to find open bugs in redhat's/fedora's bugzilla
that are in need of more information (log files or certain command
output for example). And please drop into the #fedora-bugs channel to
ask questions about the triage efforts or to wax eloquent on how to make
this community based triage idea more useful for everbody.

-jef"www.homestarrunner.com is not a good reference for learning about
bugzilla triage"spaleta