[RFC] Better font filetype and metadata file detection for xfs initscript

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 12:07:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>> The XFree86 supplied config tools are gone for 2 main reasons:
>
>Not that I was arguing (again) for their inclusion :)

Ok..

>The point being, somone could use the XF86 tools as part of YAXCT
>(yet another X config tool). No that RHL/RHEL/FC don't include them
>their app would break.

It's extremely unlikely an external config tool would use
xf86config or xf86cfg directly for configuration.  If there is
anything out there it would more likely than not be something
that is a core part of an OS distribution rather than an addon,
such as a distro supplied control panel type of thing in some
other distribution.

Other X config tools out there no doubt either:

1) Implement their own detection, config file parsing/writing
   routines, etc.

or

2) Use libxf86config.a - which is what our own config tool does.
   libxf86config.a is included with XFree86, and is the library
   which the XFree86 supplied config tools themselves use.  This
   is included in the distribution.

>It's not your responsibility, as Red Hat X maintainer, to fix their tool
>is it?

'course not.

>You wouldn't keep the XF86 stuff around for it, would you?

Nope.

>No, you said it was going away, then it went away. It's up to
>them to fix their app, either integrate the XF86 parts, or
>modify the too to use the new Red Hat parts.

Indeed.  Or better, use libxf86config like most sane tools
do/should.  It's not like there are a plethora of 3rd party X
configuration tools however, so this is very theoretical.

>> 2) In many cases, people use them simply because they don't know
>Those are the tools mentioned in the documentation for XF86 though.

People who report bugs in specific XFree86 documentation
referencing the tools which we have disabled, I'd be glad to fix
with future documentation updates.  It'd even be a useful idea
for someone to file a "container" bug which says something like
"Update XFree86 documentation to refer to redhat-config-xfree86
everywhere instead of the XFree86 supplied tools."  Then when
people file individual cases where the docs refer to these tools,
they can be marked as dependancies.