Self-Introduction: Jean-Luc Fontaine

Jean-Luc Fontaine jfontain at free.fr
Thu Oct 23 20:48:34 UTC 2003

- Full legal name: Jean-Luc FONTAINE

- Country, City: Le Haillan, France
   (Le Haillan is a small city near Bordeaux, where they make excellent
   wines, I must say ;-)

- Profession: MIS

- Company: CERTIA (a computing regional center for the French Social
Security)

- Goals in the Fedora Project
   - Which packages do you want to see published?
   moodss, a modular monitoring application (GUI and daemon,
http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/) which in turn requires blt (graph
widgets, http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/blt/files) and tktable
(table widget, http://tktable.sourceforge.net/) (I'd take care of all those)
   - Do you want to do QA?
   Yes, but after I am somewhat done with my TODO list for moodss
   - Anything else special?
   If you have any ideas about new modules for moodss, especially for
Linux, I'd be glad to work on them.

- Historical qualifications
   - What other projects have you worked on in the past?
   tclperl (running Perl code from Tcl), tclpython (running Python code
from Tcl), stooop (OO programming in Tcl), ...
   - What computer languages and other skills do you know?
   C, C++, Perl, Python, network monitoring with SNMP, Linux
administration, Windows servers administration even...
   - Why should we trust you?
   Because I am a nice guy: just look at my picture at
http://jfontain.free.fr/ ... More seriously, I have been using and
enjoying Linux since 1993, and I wanted to give back, so I started to
work steadily on system/database/network management free software from
1997. Very recently, my main software project made it in "The Art of
UNIX Programming" book by Eric S. Raymond (more information on reviews,
users experiences, ... at http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/).

- GPG KEYID and fingerprint:

pub  1024D/F713D6A4 2003-10-04 Jean-Luc Fontaine <jfontain at free.fr>
      Key fingerprint = 7AAD 7273 49B0 6A31 1226  28CB 906F CC32 F713 D6A4
sub  1024g/54AD07BC 2003-10-04

I am looking forward to contributing,

Best regards,

Jean-Luc

PS: moodss blurb:

Moodss 17.11 has just been released. Moodss is a modular multi-platform
monitoring application, which supports operating systems (Linux, UNIX,
Windows, ...), databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, ODBC, ...), networking
(SNMP, Apache, ...), and any device or process for which a module can be
developed (in a scripting or compiled language: Tcl, Python, Perl, C).
A very intuitive GUI with full drag'n'drop support allows the
construction of powerful dashboards with graphs, pie charts, ..., such
as one which would use the cpustats, memstats, apache and MySQL myhealth
modules to monitor a busy dynamic web server.
Proactive monitoring is achieved via a thorough thresholds
functionality, including warning by multiple emails, user defined
scripts, and an included daemon for background monitoring.
Finally, on top of real-time monitoring, any part of the visible data
can be archived in a SQL database (MySQL, ODBC or SQLite) by both the
GUI and daemon applications, so that, for example, complete history over
time can be made available in web pages, common spreadsheet software, or
presentations.
This GPL software is included in Suse Professional (rpms for Redhat also
available on the author web page), used by IBM to monitor its Linux
mainframe (see the "IBM e-server zSeries and S/390: System Management"
redbook) and got an excellent review from Unix Review (further
information with screenshots at http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/).