[Yum] Yum Feature Requests

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Oct 27 02:12:20 UTC 2003

Don't crosspost, it just makes life difficult.

> 1. Some way to install SRPMs.  When you are testing a distro, it
> comes quite handy to install the SRPM with a single yum command
> when you find a bug and want to look at.

Read the yum list - If someone wants to implement this go for it.
yum-arch -s indexes the src.rpms too. I have some other fish to fry
before I get to this one.

> 2. A way to force reinstall of a package.  If by any chance I get
> one of my packages corrupted, the way I do right now is to rpm -e
> --nodeps it and then yum install.

no. Again, read the yum list, hard and fast rule, - I won't implement
--force or --nodeps. Darkness lies in that path.

> 3. A way to find out which repo contains the currently installed
> version of a package.  It comes quite handy when you want to
> install SRPMs.  Currently I have to guess, or go around all
> repos.

so if #1 were implemented you wouldn't need this one?

> 4. A way to downgrade a package (say for the moment, that's ok if
> update overrides that).

possibly, but not already planned.

> On a side note:  Is there any way, to keep updated on both 2.4
> and 2.6 kernels?  Without renaming one of the to say
> kernel2.6-...?

not really. There the same package, two different versions, one of which
is greater, how would you want it to know which sets to look for newer
on?

-sv