CD burning with Nautilus, was: Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 16:22:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 10:47, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > A cd burning application would be a pretty bad ui for burning an audio
> > CD, since in them you can't easily listen to the tracks, find the music
> > from your library, view id3 information, see how many minutes the
> > current list of music is, etc. Unless of course this was a specific
> > audio-burning-app. But then, if it were, it would be pretty close to a
> > music player. The macos X music player iTunes has a burn button. End
> > users seem to have no problem understanding it.
>
> The major Windows cd burning applications burn audio CDs, and they do all
> the "this many minutes left", "preview track", etc. stuff.
>
> I really would NOT expect to find that functionality in a music player. I'd
> expect it in a CD burning application. What I'm doing is burning a CD. The
> contents of that CD should be irrelevant.

One thing to keep in mind is that "the major Windows cd burning
applications" are competing with each other to have more features, even
if the feature really doesn't belong there, it helps you look more
impressive in the magazine review checklist.

We have a certain freedom to do things in the right place that someone
writing a CD burning application for Windows doesn't have.

Regards,
						Owen