Kernel eating memory, ends up trashing

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Sep 11 22:40:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Definately looks like a memory leak.

Would it help if I say I have a feeling it happens when running out of
physical memory ? Or when allocating/using a lot of memory in a short
timespan and releasing it under this condition.

I removed memory from my desktop system and I seem to suffer from it on my
desktop too (albeit in a less profound way).

I can also add that it wasn't present in 2.4.18-18.7.x (or earlier)
kernels, but it started when I upgraded to RH9 with kernel 2.4.20-8.