Kernel eating memory, ends up trashing

Michael Lee Yohe michael.yohe at us.army.mil
Fri Sep 19 21:23:28 UTC 2003

> > Would it help if I say I have a feeling it happens when running out of
> > physical memory ? Or when allocating/using a lot of memory in a short
> > timespan and releasing it under this condition.

I am having this exact same problem, with a machine that has 2G of swap
and 768M of physical memory.  I filed a bug in Red Hat Bugzilla, and was
told to produce the output of /proc/slabinfo, but it takes the machine a
while to consume all of its resources to the point where everything
essentially is being run out of the swap file.

I will produce the Bug number once Bugzilla is alive again.

--
Michael Lee Yohe <michael.yohe at us.army.mil>
U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command Software Engineering Directorate