Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Mon Sep 22 17:53:39 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 10:12, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:53:29PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > This table attempts to summarize the difference between our operating
> > system products and the Fedora Project:
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html
> >
> > Red Hat will be doing a lot of development and other work on the Fedora
> > Project, but it's not a product that you can buy from us. We're working
> > on the Fedora Project in the same way that we work on other projects
> > such as Mozilla or the Linux kernel.
>
> Well, I can't read this different from "Red Hat stops delivering a
> freely available Linux distribution", which I consider bad news :-(.

That's looking at the empty half of the bottle. :-)

If you look at the other half, it reads like this:
The Fedora Project is sort of a "truly open" Linux distribution, a la
Debian, with little control from commercial entities. This should put a
stop to the "commercially bastardized Linux" criticisms (at least in
theory).
RHEL is the commercial fork of it.

I'll say both things are needed. Good move, guys.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/