Proposal: fedora-distributor-list

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Sat Sep 27 10:09:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 06:27:13PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Thomas Chung (tchung at openwebmail.com) said:
> > See this link for more information -  http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/
>
> One thing you may be interested in is the trademark guidelines at:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/trademarks/

Apologies if this is a rehash from when the original Red Hat(R)
discussions went on.

One of the things which confuses me is that it's possible to go two
different install routes to get the the same place, yet one can be
Fedora and one can't - at least from my own reading of this.

Take for example:

1) Fedora Core installed via kickstart off official media
2) Update Fedora Core errata/updates via yum/up2date/apt/hand

Then if I produce a modified single disk kickstart installer (not for
distribution) which has Fedora updates merged in, do I then have to
remove any fedora trademarks from that installer image.

If I read this correctly that could be construed as modification,
although the components are all under the Fedora(tm) code.  I've a
feeling this could be called Fedora Core.

I then go on and add a non-fedora package using yum/up2date/apt if I do
this after install, I still have a fedora system just with a third party
package.  If I do this in the kickstart image I'd say that then probably
ceases to be Fedora.  Which if I want to produce kickstart images for a
large number of internal servers then I have to ensure that the
Fedora(tm) is removed from the kickstart?

In which case I can simply configure up2date/yum as part of the
kickstart and on first boot install the non-Fedora package, it seems as
if I'm making a kickstart image and want to be able to say to my
co-worker, it's Fedora I have to jump through hoops in order to be able
to to that.

Paul