OpenGroupware.org?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Sep 27 13:17:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Florian La Roche wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 05:10:11AM -0700, Wil Cooley wrote:
> >
> > I thought OpenGroupware.org was slated to be in the next beta; did this
> > get pushed back?  Do we have to wait for Fedora Contrib or whatever?
>
> It's great how many groupware projects are getting usable. It's still not
> clear on what should be a default one that most users can be happy with.
>
> More comments from someone looking at these more closely? Would be good to
> see some of them packaged into Fedora Addon for better/easier evaluation.

The two I've played with are OpenGroupware and Kolab/Kroupware. Out of those
two, OGo is my preferred choice. Either are a pain to set up, since they
have more dependencies than evolution (and here you thought that wouldn't be
possible to achieve, but two independent open source projects finally
managed! ;-)

Once going, OGo is much more flexible in terms of client support. OGo went
with standards for things like address books, calendaring, etc. Kolab went
with a weird combination of ftp + horrible (ab)use of IMAP folders --
interesting way to do it, but most clients don't support it.

OGo is also more flexible in terms of components. You can use whatever SMTP
server you want, and whatever IMAP implementation you want, and mbox or
maildir{,+} or cyrus or whatever obscure new mail storage format you want.
Kolab is tied to Postfix+Cyrus+ProFTPD and at least not doing Cyrus + some
form of ftp didn't look possible, though I didn't spend an extremely long
time trying (I didn't try getting away from Postfix, since at least that
part I would have chosen anyway ;-).

If you want to use the web clients or the kroupware client only (or Outlook
after you buy Bynari Connector) and don't mind migrating your email
infrastructure (and don't mind most of the documentation still being in
German), kolab seemed usable. If you have an existing infrastructure, or
want to support other clients (like, say, evolution), OpenGroupware seems
like the way to go.

IMHO, anyway.

later,
chris