Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Thu Apr 1 00:48:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 15:38, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A possibly related discussion; we've been wondering if we can make the
> OS image read-only (mounting it that way, or via selinux).
>
> Then have /tmp and probably /var in RAM (or wiped on boot), and have
> home directories and server/app data such as web pages to be served on
> network mounts.
>
> This allows you to maintain the OS image in a central location and the
> homedirs and server/app data in central locations, and have a single
> network-wide master copy of all important state.
>
> Any filesystem rearrangement probably impacts this plan (some
> rearrangement may be needed for this plan).

You need to talk to the kernel guys to get this workable. The file
/etc/mtab will bite you.

Having it be a symlink to /proc/mounts is not sufficient.

The /etc/mtab file is where the mount options are stored. This is
something that /proc/mounts doesn't have (other than rw/ro).

Additionally, /proc/mounts has non-meaningful entries like:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0

It would be nice to get this fixed (incidentally Solaris does this
correctly). Go bug Al Viro :)

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs