Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 2 19:17:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Jeremy Katz wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 15:46 -0700, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>> The boxes were configured to use the local SMTP for some reason (I dont
>> know.. I just had to debug the problem). Thus the mail went from
>> client -> sendmail/var/spool/clientmqueue -> power-outage ooops
>
>Heh, that's just sick.  How about my statement holding for when the
>clients are set up correctly? :-)  (ie, if you don't use local sendmail
>and just do smtp, then local /var/spool isn't needed)

The counter argument from the guy in suspenders and a beard to his knees
is that 'when the hell did I get a windows box? Unix is better than
that.' :).

>So yes, the ability to have it, perfectly reasonable.  Having it as the
>general case, perhaps overkill.

I think it is reasonable for a completely new environment to not have it
because you can mandate clients etc. For existing large environments
where people expect 40 year old editors written in Fortran to still
work... lets just say exceptions become the rule :(.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --