Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 2 19:27:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
>>A queue in /var is suboptimal because it partially defeats the purpose
>>of the deployment model - it leaves per-machine state to be corrupted,
>>backed up, hacked, etc.
>>

>How is printing done? How do cron jobs mail when a services home
>directory may not exist and the shell is nologin? Not trying to poke
>holes as much as think things out-loud. I wonder if queues should go
>under /var at all?

Actually, I think I am needing what the deployment model is and what it
is for... that would help me get my head around it and what would need
to be done. I may have a solution to the conundrum, but it needs a
better idea of what is wanted.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --