Dependency hell

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Apr 3 03:09:38 UTC 2004

Richard Hally wrote:
> Please see the list of my attempts to update  my system  to  rawhide.
> The thing that seems most incorrect is that rpm or yum do not report
> correctly the packages that need to be excluded.  Since there always
> seems to be some dependency problem (one gets fixed but another one
> stops the update) it would seem that a reliable way to determine which
> packages to exclude would be very helpful and save time that can be put
> to better use. thanks for any help,
> Richard Hally

1) Development and test releases never were supported and there is never
the expectation that upgrades will go smoothly all the time.  We try our
best to prevent breakage whenever possible, but these things inevitably
periodically happen when you have dozens of developers working on many
interlocking pieces of the puzzle.  We are working on improving the
standard processes to avoid more of these issues in the future, but
eliminating it completely may never happen.

2) apt-get upgrade (but not dist-upgrade) avoids the missing pieces
automatically.  All the way through FC2 test1 to current rawhide it has
worked for me in not leaving a broken system.  The current selinux
policy problem needs to be solved though.  Panu have you communicated
with the selinux people about this?

Warren