Strange Kudzu Behavior

I have two ethernet cards. One is onboard (3c59x) and one is PCMCIA (8139too). Kudzu sets the PCMCIA one to eth0 and the onboard to eth1. When I change hwconf manually to make the onboard eth0 and the PCMCIA eth1, it overwrites them when kudzu starts. If I use system-config-network to set them that way, it still overwrites them on startup. In fact, if I remove the PCMCIA card, start eth0 (which is now the onboard), get an IP and then put the PCMCIA back in, kudzu still sees the onboard as eth1. Is this proper kudzu behavior? or is system-config-network broken?

Pyroman[FO]