kudzu hangs on latest kernel

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Apr 12 06:47:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 15:08, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 15:42, Jurgen Botz wrote:
> > On my desktop workstation (Asus A7V8X mb, Athlon XP 2500 CPU),
> > kudzu freezes the system when it runs at startup with kernel
> > 2.6.5-1.315.  This is a hard freeze, need to hit reset,
> > ctrl-alt-del doesn't, keyboard lights don't respond to capslock,
> > etc.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?
> >
> > :j
> >

> Yes I had to disable Kudzu as well...last couple versions of Kudzu
> locked up my machine when booting 2.6.0 (old i know) and 2.6.5 so it
> doesn't appear that the latest kernel is to blame.

I had this problem when I was running the nvidia kernel tainting driver
for my xserver. It only happened when the fancy graphical boot manager
was being used - it did not happen (even booting to gdm) if I turned of
the fancy graphical boot manager.

See if the same is the case for you. If yes - then I'm guessing there is
an issue with the graphical boot process and your video driver. If it's
a kernel tainting video driver, RH/Fedora will not support it (as I
found out in my bug report) - if it's an OSS video driver - then PLEASE
report the bug, so that when it is fixed, I can send the details of how
it was fixed in an OSS driver to nvidia so that maybe they can patch
their css driver.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/