2.6.5-1.315 + kudzu -- constantly re-detecting my Ethernet card

Mary Ellen Foster M.E.Foster at ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 12 11:29:58 UTC 2004

Over the weekend, I decided to try installing the 2.6.5-1.315 kernel (from
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/) on my laptop, which is currently
running a fully-updated FC1.

There were the normal 2.6 teething problems -- USB
modules, /dev/input/mice, that sort of thing -- but things seem to be much
better than the last time I tried a 2.6 kernel (e.g., no more kernel
panics from my external USB sound card).

One continuing annoyance is that kudzu persists in detecting my Ethernet
card (RealTek somethingorother; driver is 8139too) as a new one, and
configuring it as "eth2" (eth0 is the real configuration of my card; eth1
is my wireless PCMCIA card). I found a thread from February that mentioned
a similar issue, but I didn't see any resolution. Should I just disable
kudzu and ignore the problem for now?

Here's the root of the previous thread:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-February/msg02083.html

MEF

--
__ Mary Ellen Foster __ http://www.iccs.informatics.ed.ac.uk/~mef/ __
So if someone says: "Let's see The Cat in the Hat"--