Comments? (OpenOffice.org Dictionaries)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 14:31:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

There is also the DicOOo.sxw automated dictionary/hyphenator/thesaurus
installation program, much like an automated update program.  It is a
Writer document that contains macros that automatically retrieve the
i18n component lists and download and install them for you.  It works
rather well.

The problem with separate language packs is when do you install them?
They could potentially be added to the comps files so that each
additional OOo language would only be installed if you selected that
language in Anaconda.  However, what do you do after the fact?  How
would they be distributed?  How would you notify users of the additional
language packs' existence?

It may well be from a distribution standpoint that DicOOo is the best
way to go since it empowers users to install only what they need, and
makes it easily available.  However, it has a few drawbacks (none fatal
I think): its basically a big macro, some people are uneasy about that,
and there is also no guarantee how long the information it uses will be
up online.  However, it does have an active community around it, it _is_
being shipped with the official OpenOffice.org, and is generally well
localized.

There will probably always be a place for standalone dictionary/
hyphenator/thesaurus packs though.

Looking forward as the Fedora Core / Red Hat maintainer of the OOo
packages, what do people think I should do?

Dan