Comments? (OpenOffice.org Dictionaries)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 19:39:46 UTC 2004

Miloslav Trmac (mitr at volny.cz) said:
> > o  Additional logic applied to Anaconda to install only the languages
> > necessary for the user (not sure, will ask Jeremy how much work it will
> > be)
> This is already done for kde-i18n-* and seems to work fine.

No, it doesn't.

a) it's not necessarily in sync with each app
b) you get translations for everything, instead of just translations
   for the apps you have installed
c) to get new translations for one app, you have to rebuild a 150MB
   source rpm
d) you have to have special logic in install programs just to get
   translations

To elaborate on 'd', if I, as a user, do 'up2date -i wibble', you'd
have to hardcode some logic that if LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, you need to also
install 'wobble-i18n-German'. That's a PITA to maintain.

In short, I feel it's the absolute wrong approach.

Bill