rawhide report: 20040414 changes

Nathan Robertson nathanr at nathanr.net
Wed Apr 14 19:42:29 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
>>>This package has a really odd dependency problem, trying a `yum update`
>>>fails with an error, 'Package libselinux needs glibc >, this is not
>>>availible.'  Given that I'm fairly certain an unversioned release of
>>>glibc isn't going to happen, I'm assuming this is a packaging problem...
>>>

>>More likely a yum problem since rpm reports more sensibly:
>>
>>    # rpm -Fvh libselinux-1.11-1.i386.rpm
>>    error: Failed dependencies:
>>        glibc > 2.3.4 is needed by libselinux-1.11-1
>>

> how is this a yum problem? You have a package that requires something
> that doesn't exist. And that's a yum problem?

No, the yum problem is that it didn't report the version number of glibc
required. Compare the above to this:

[root at starlifter headers]# yum update
Server: Fedora Core 1.91 - Development Tree
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
....Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package libselinux needs glibc >, this is not available.
[root at starlifter headers]#

Nathan.