Re: File Size Cleanup requests

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:55:25PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Please let us know if you find any packages that contain large and very
> not useful stuff like this.

e.g. like the tons of drafts and RFCs included in the BIND package?

[dr nomad bind-9.2.3]$ rpm -q bind
bind-9.2.3-13
[dr nomad bind-9.2.3]$ pwd
/usr/share/doc/bind-9.2.3
[dr nomad bind-9.2.3]$ du -sh draft rfc
2.6M    draft
996K    rfc

I also wonder wether it's really necessary to include the DocBook XML
source of the ARM, taking up another 300k.

> Also any cases where development specific documentation (like API
> specifications) are within the main package as %doc, we should move it
> to the -devel package.  This should save some space in desktop
> installations.

Moving the BIND ARM into a seperate bind-doc subpackage might make
some sense.

700K    /usr/share/doc/bind-9.2.3/arm

Alternatively, at least getting rid of the DocBook XML source file
Bv9ARM-book.xml, saving about 300k.

Best regards,
Daniel