ALSA in a 2.6 world

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Apr 16 04:26:11 UTC 2004

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 19:36, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:29:38PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
>>
>>>Sure, one could compile a newer kernel, but that way the Red Hat changes
>>>to the kernel (which are often good for demanding apps such as digital
>>>recorders) will be lost.
>>
>>The stated goals of Fedora are to stay as close to mainline upstream
>>as possible.  This includes the kernel.
>

> Ok...
>
> [florin at stantz florin]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
> [florin at stantz florin]$ uname -r
> 2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp
> [florin at stantz florin]$ lynx -dump
> http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner | grep 2.4
> The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is:              2.4.26
> [florin at stantz florin]$
>
> That doesn't seem to me like any kind of closeness to the alleged
> "goals". ;-)

Closer to 2.6 in that case. =)

Seriously though, in 99% cases the only way you will get anything into
the Fedora kernel is to convince upstream to include it.  Upstream
inclusion means that a LOT more users and developers will be using and
supporting it than Red Hat or Fedora alone.  That is a significant
advantage that should not be overlooked.

Nudge upstream please.

Warren