Re: ALSA in a 2.6 world

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 11:21:24PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I just realised that, with this thread, i re-opened the old and painful
> flamewar "why the Linux drivers are so tightly attached to the kernel,
> so that if i upgrade the kernel i have to upgrade all 3rd party drivers,
> or vice-versa". Tannenbaum scoffing at Torvalds for not using a
> microkernel, and all that...

It's not just a driver.  ALSA is an entire *architecture* for moving
sound into and out of the system.  Try replacing the entire sound
architecture of any other OS....

> Ah well, i was merely hoping i could avoid wasting the time required to
> recompile the kernel when a new ALSA version comes out.

Well, if you switch to FC2 when it comes out, then updating kernels
should be easy since there won't be any/many Fedora-specific patches
to miss in the standard kernel.