cross-building in chroots: ia32 hosting x86_64 builds?

Hi,

currently I am using chroots for building rpm for various
distributions from rH7.3 to the upcoming in-flux FC2. This all works
nicely since the host architecture is always the same.

I'd like to extend this idiom to x86_64 builds. I could populate the
chroots with x86_64 rpms, and have the matching toolchain. What else
is needed to transparently build in these chroots x86_64 rpms? Do I
need to pass any -m64 switches to gcc or similar to binutils?

I don't want to upgrade my build machine to x86_64, yet, but I'd still
like to provide some of the often requested rpms built for x86_64.

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net