What makes a production kernel?

I know the rawhide kernels are more about testing and saying, "hey, would this day-old feature be cool to eventually put into production", but what's the philosophy on the FC2 kernel? Has it already been decided that it will be an older version? I haven't tried all of the new kernels, but neither the nvidia nor the savage X drivers have worked on any kernel I have tried since 2.6.3-1.118. I know a lot of people have said, "Blame NVIDIA. They don't come out with a new driver every week to match the way our kernels are changing", but I don't think this is a reasonable stance. The nvidia module is widely used, and I think to say that FC2 doesn't support it may be a serious issue for some people. I know most people don't care about the savage driver, but I wonder if a new one will ever be released. I don't think its a good idea at this time to include a default kernel that isn't backward compatible in this respect to the older ones.

-Eric Hattemer