Re: What makes a production kernel?

Hi Eric,

Am Sonntag, 25. April 2004 21:43 schrieb Eric Hattemer:

[...]
> on any kernel I have tried since 2.6.3-1.118.  I know a lot of people
> have said, "Blame NVIDIA.  They don't come out with a new driver every
> week to match the way our kernels are changing", but I don't think this
> is a reasonable stance.  The nvidia module is widely used, and I think
> to say that FC2 doesn't support it may be a serious issue for some
[...]

I am not a developer, but I agree to your point of view.

A kernel not supporting NVidia will have no chance on the market to become a
reasonable kernel on any unixoid system at the end users desktop who want
to hopp off from windoze to linux.

I am not sure, but I think that SuSE patched their 2.6.x kernel in order to
support the current NVidia-Driver. Well at least I have not seen any
statements in the "german" world of SuSE (suse-linux <at> suse.com) so far.

Martin

--
Proud member of the Hamburger Linux User Group
http://www.hhlug.de/