rawhide report: 20040715 changes

Jim Cornette music-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 1 00:38:36 UTC 2004

Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 07/16/2004 05:02:54 PM, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 09:22 -0500, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
>>
>> > I think balsa is a nice, simple MUA and I generally recommend it  for
>> users
>> > that I install Linux for.  I'm not a fan of the current
>> Outlook/Evolution
>> > approach.  Having said that, balsa is a great candidate for Fedora
>> Extras.
>> >  If people want to reduce the size of Fedora Core (this opinion
>> seems to
>> > be pretty much unanimous) then we need to start making compromises
>> like
>> > this.
>>
>>  The problem with most MUAs, is that they don't support advanced
>> features, like SASL authentication (CRAM-MD5, Kerberos, X.509, etc)
>> or  disconnected (offline) operation when using IMAP. That's one of
>> the  reasons I keep using Evolution, since I *need* Kerberos
>> authentication  support to access my IMAP mailbox. AFAIK, only Pine
>> does also support  Kerberos authentication via SASL.
>

> balsa-2.2.x does support Kerberos authentication (AUTH=GSSAPI). It
> supports AUTH=CRAM-MD5 as well. It is a lightweight client and the
> offline operation is not there but it can well open mailboxes
> containing 10000+ messages over a dialup link (the slow part is
> GtkTreeView, it has problems rendering that many rows). Try that with
> other heavy weight MUAs without having a cache preloaded.
>
> Pawel

I tried out Balsa for a short time and thought that is was a decent program. I did notice that the size that you made certain items. (subject, date, sender, etc:) were defaulted to the original size (not the sizes that I preferred) on restarting application. Another thing that was a distraction was the deleted items still showing , even after messages were deleted. I viewed it as a mini-evolution mailer. A mailer that is worthy of inclusion, but not as a substitute for another program just yet.

Jim