Trimming the distribution

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 16:24:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

I guess there has been some discussion about getting rid of packages to trim the
distribution size somewhat. I wanted to point out a few candidates that might
help.

*Byacc - bison covers this
*autocon213 - expect & pkgconfig should be modernized.
*automake14 - pkgconfig is the only thing needing this that I see
*automake16 - gmp should be updated
*automake17 - this is so close to 1.8.4 that anything needing it just needs:
aclocal, automake, autoconf added to the spec file. They've all converted fine on
my system.
*passwd - shadow-utils has much if not all of the same functionality as this
package. Why not try to consolidate to one package? Some of the utilities in
shadow-utils are not packaged and therefore easily overlooked.

Then the other area that swings in the most packages is simply building the
documentation during a compile. Some packages use doxygen, docbooks, linuxdoc,
perl-SGMLSpm, etc. After the build, these packages probably get very little use
on an average user's machine. This is an area that needs attention/consolidation.
You would be surprised how many packages get swung in simply to make the
documentation. I think I was able to jettison 20-30 packages by removing the
above mentioned documentation packages and their dependencies.

I just wanted to thow those out in case it helps.

-Steve Grubb