Trimming the distribution

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 17:15:16 UTC 2004

>>After the build, these packages probably get very little use
>>on an average user's machine. This is an area that needs
>>attention/consolidation.
>
>Install with --excludedocs - that is already covered

This produces an artificial reduction in packages. You still needed the
documentation packages to get the binary rpm. BuildRequires enforces this. What
I'm angling at is do you really need docbook and linuxdocs and all the others?
Can a translator be made to swing from a less capable to a more capable doc
generator? Sorry if I'm picking on someone's favorite package, but there seems to
be a lot of duplication of effort in this area.

If the project is happy with all these documentation generating packages, so be
it. I just wanted to point out that this is an area ripe for refactoring.

-Steve Grubb