Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Aug 8 19:31:35 UTC 2004

arjanv at redhat.com wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 01:27, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday 07 August 2004 13:42, Joe Robertson wrote:
>> > I haven't installed this kernel yet but if it changes to the correct
>> > driver I'd say that it is a good thing!
>>
>> Sure, changing to the 'correct' driver is good, but not when it changes
>> the device structure.  Quite a lot can break, especially if the system
>> in question already has some SCSI devices.  This sort of change should
>> have been either held off until the next version release of FC, or more
>> work should have been done to detect this situation and handle it the
>> least painful way possible.
>
>this is why we use mount-by-label for everything.
>The fact that swap seems not to migrate automatic is a bug in swapon.

Mount by label is not the panacea you make it out to be. Ever accidentally
add a disk to a machine that has the same labels as the existing disks?
At the very least it confuses things. As Jesse previously stated it would
be nice if changes like this were done in conjunction with the next release
AND documented. At least then we know what is going on.

Tom