Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Mon Aug 9 12:26:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 03:48, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 05:31, Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> wrote:
> > >this is why we use mount-by-label for everything.
> > >The fact that swap seems not to migrate automatic is a bug in swapon.
> >
> > Mount by label is not the panacea you make it out to be. Ever accidentally
> > add a disk to a machine that has the same labels as the existing disks?
>
> Maybe what we need is a UUID for the machine so that it won't automatically
> mount the disks from another machine.  This could be done in one of two ways.
> One is for the system to know the UUID, the other is for the configuration
> system to just append a UUID when creating labels for mount-by-label.
>
> It would be really good if we could have something similar for software RAID
> (it would be a real bummer if you booted with a new disk installed only to
> find that it had the same RAID-1 device as your root file system but with a
> higher access count).

I suppose using the UUID alone in /etc/fstab would be unnecessarily
obtuse. I work in a laboratory environment that does digital media
forensics, sometimes on evidence in criminal cases. Therefore we need to
be absolutely certain we aren't writing to any partitions that don't
"belong" to us.

I always reconfigure /etc/fstab on my workstation, after installation,
to reference UUID= instead of LABEL= for all my system partitions. The
only problem with that approach is that I can't simply do the same thing
in GRUB. Appending the UUID to the LABEL would take care of the problem
without having to make more than a trivial change; is this something to
propose for anaconda perhaps?

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE