Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 20:07:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 08:26 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I always reconfigure /etc/fstab on my workstation, after installation,
> to reference UUID= instead of LABEL= for all my system partitions. The
> only problem with that approach is that I can't simply do the same thing
> in GRUB. Appending the UUID to the LABEL would take care of the problem
> without having to make more than a trivial change; is this something to
> propose for anaconda perhaps?

The problem is that the label has a max length (filesystem dependent,
it's 15 chars for ext[23] iirc).  So appending the UUID isn't really
doable.

Switching to mount by UUID instead of by label has been proposed a few
times, but I find it to be a fairly disgusting thing to have to expose
at all and thus have resisted the suggestion.

Jeremy