Several Different kernel related (?) problems

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 11:40:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:32:39AM +0200, Hans Kristian Rosbach wrote:
> On these we have recently seen the following problems.
>
> 1. Screen goes blank during boot menu.
>    Then there is massive on-screen image corruption until
>    the fb is reset by init somewhere. In the beginning you
>    can make out the text, but there are outlined squares all
>    over the monitor. When more text appears it seems to make
>    a mess all over the screen.
>    What kernel: All FC2 kernels, ever since atleast test1

The first thing to try is "acpi=off". See if that helps.

> 3. All of our FC2 servers recently (3-4 days ago) stopped serving
>    http pages to mac computers. I have no idea why, but customers
>    from all over is complaining that their mac machines cannot
>    open the webpages. Windows machines on the same net works.
>    The mac machines has tested IE and newest Safari.
>    It seems like a FC2 yum update triggered this event, but we have
>    no idea how and have no way of doing testing as we don't have any
>    macs.

Old or new Macs. MacOS X and MacOS < X are different operating systems.
MacOS X is simply BSD. You'd need tcpdumps to figure out what was going
on there.

> 4. One of our servers is having BIG problems with uneven intervals
>    recently. The last week it has had problems about 5-6 times I think.
>    Very (VERY) suddenly the load increases to 700+ and https gets OOM
>    killed rapidly. Network connectivity is immedeately offline and
>    console responce is _BAD_. I once waited 5min for a password prompt
>    before I had to reboot it due to customer complaints.
>    I saw the 700-900 load climb once when I had let top stay on console.
>    This has occured only since after Monday.

Bad cgi scripts or perl/php ?. You can stop the machine getting into a
horrible state by using rlimit and/or setting no overcommit in /proc/sys.

Alan