Several Different kernel related (?) problems

Hans Kristian Rosbach hk at isphuset.no
Fri Aug 13 11:57:05 UTC 2004

> > 1. Screen goes blank during boot menu.
> >    Then there is massive on-screen image corruption until
> >    the fb is reset by init somewhere. In the beginning you
> >    can make out the text, but there are outlined squares all
> >    over the monitor. When more text appears it seems to make
> >    a mess all over the screen.
> >    What kernel: All FC2 kernels, ever since atleast test1
>
> The first thing to try is "acpi=off". See if that helps.

How would I do that?

I never used grub before, so when I'm blind I have no idea how to do
such things. You did get that the screen is actually black when the
menu is supposed to be on screen? I can change menu entries blindly tho.

Walkthrough?

> > 3. All of our FC2 servers recently (3-4 days ago) stopped serving
> >    http pages to mac computers. I have no idea why, but customers
> >    from all over is complaining that their mac machines cannot
> >    open the webpages. Windows machines on the same net works.
> >    The mac machines has tested IE and newest Safari.
> >    It seems like a FC2 yum update triggered this event, but we have
> >    no idea how and have no way of doing testing as we don't have any
> >    macs.
>
> Old or new Macs. MacOS X and MacOS < X are different operating systems.
> MacOS X is simply BSD. You'd need tcpdumps to figure out what was going
> on there.

MacOs 10. something is what the customer told me.
I have just about zero chance of getting them to do a tcpdump for me.
If anybody wants to try, one of the domains in question is www.fjuken.no

> > 4. One of our servers is having BIG problems with uneven intervals
> >    recently. The last week it has had problems about 5-6 times I think.
> >    Very (VERY) suddenly the load increases to 700+ and https gets OOM
> >    killed rapidly. Network connectivity is immedeately offline and
> >    console responce is _BAD_. I once waited 5min for a password prompt
> >    before I had to reboot it due to customer complaints.
> >    I saw the 700-900 load climb once when I had let top stay on console.
> >    This has occured only since after Monday.
>
> Bad cgi scripts or perl/php ?. You can stop the machine getting into a
> horrible state by using rlimit and/or setting no overcommit in /proc/sys.

Well, while https was enabled, there were no actual content there. What
seemed to be there is a phpinfo() script by default? It's running with
default ssl.conf and no files have been added to the dir.

We have renamed ssl.conf to make sure it is disabled now in hope that it
will solve this problem. This might have something to do with crackers,
as we are seeing some moderate hostility against just that server.

-HK