gqview removed from rawhide

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Fri Aug 13 12:30:50 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 13:12, P at draigBrady.com wrote:
> Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:

> >>Gthumb has an Edit->Find Duplicates, does this not do the same thing?
> >>
> >>Carwyn
> >>

> >     No, it finds exact duplicates, not similar files. With gqview you get
> > info like pic1.jpg is 98% similar to pic0.jpg. I have two pictures for
> > tests - first only with one object on clean background and the second
> > with the same object on colored background. Gthumb finds nothing.
>
> I really don't see how a fuzzy match is useful in general.
> I didn't realise Gthumb has a find duplicates function,
> but you can use FSlint for this which is in extras.

    Read my reply again. Gqview can 'Find Similar Images', not just
'Find Duplicates'. I don't want to find exact duplicates - I used hardlink
for this (kernel-utils - /usr/sbin/hardlink). I want to find similar images
with different quality and size and decide which one to keep. If there is
a photo F17.jpg with size 860x700. Someone makes from it F17-wall.jpg with
size 1024x768 plus some extra messages on it. In this case I want just the
'original'. I hope you get my idea why I want gqview in the core.
    As Michael Schwendt said gqview can find 'equal' or similar files in one
or two collections. You can also customize the comparison criteria. I have no
idea what algorithm it uses, I just know it works well.
    I tried gthumb and it has less features and worse interface for me. Do
I have to open bugreport/RFE for this. How is it decided to remove an app
from the core, votes?

    PS: sorry for my English...

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79