gqview removed from rawhide

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Aug 13 15:13:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:30:19 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> > Nah. It's a well-designed feature. Please take a look at gqview before
> > commenting on it. The "find duplicates" feature can be customized. You can
> > choose from different comparison criteria. Finding exact duplicates (=
> > "similarity 100%") is possible, too, of course.
>
> sigh... i didn't say the feature was bad... I said it was badly named.
> I'm just proposing the menu item text be changed from 'find duplicates' to the
> much more useful phrase i came up or perhaps just 'find similar' if
> you don't want to be as precise as my phrase.

Hmm...!?

: cough... technically... that sounds like a bug in gqview to me.
: Because the feature is 'find duplicates'... not 'find 90% or more
: similar [...]

: -jef"Off to file a bug to get qgview fixed so it actually finds
: duplicates"spaleta

Now that would be even more inaccurate and confusing, since the function's
primary purpose is to find _duplicate_ image files:

File > Find duplicates >

  Compare by
     Name
     Size
     Date
     Dimensions
     Checksum
     Path
     Similarity

It's just that with image file formats like JPEG, two files can be
duplicate if they differ slightly but are based on the same source file.

Would it make sense to call it "Find similar..." based on similar
checksums, similar date, similar path, or similar dimensions? ;-)