Should kernels be upgraded or installed.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Aug 16 07:29:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 20:13 -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>   All of the above is, yes, just IMO.  But I just wanted to voice my
> opinion that I think the current practice of upgrading kernels during an
> OS upgrade, but installing them during up2date/yum runs is in fact the
> best practice and not something I'd want to see changed.  I wouldn't be
> *entirely* opposed keeping an old kernel around.  But I suspect that
> ensuring that firstboot doesn't run with the older kernel and other
> potential problems that may arise from having a kernel from an older
> release running on the current version of the OS may end up in more
> NOTABUG-closed bugs in bugzilla than Red Hat is willing to deal with.

You could certainly make sure the old kernel isn't the _default_ and
even change its name in the menu to discourage people from using it
without good reason. And since we take care to ensure that the shipped
userspace will work, if suboptimally, on a stock kernel, it shouldn't be
much of a problem that the kernel is older. If there are _really_ known
reasons why old kernels won't work, we can use Conflicts: for that.

You seem to want to keep real bugs which bite sane users because fixing
them might bring theoretical bugs which bite stupid users.

Does firstboot run after an upgrade, btw?

--
dwmw2