latest kudzu changes

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 17:44:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:25, Steve G wrote:
> What started this whole mess was fstab updating. What was wrong? Was there
> bugzilla problem report that started this?

No, no problem just that a lot of utilities will start to move to using
HAL.  updfstab just didn't fit the bill anymore.

> >Kudzu is really quite static, think of hal as a daemonized kudzu with more
> >flexibility and you'll be a bit closer to the situation.
>
> And does dbus work without networking running? Are there ways for untrusted users
> to abuse it? Has it gone through a rigorous code review?

It has security built in and is confined to the local unix domain socket
connections which can pass credentials. We even have it working with
SE-Linux.  DBus also uses all of its own data structures designed to
minimize and catch security issues and an extensive test suite.  YOu are
free to try and break it and report bugs back.

> Is the problem you are solving hotplug devices?

In the end the problem being solved is reliably detecting all devices
and getting relevant information that can be used to auto configure said
device.

DBus on the other hand solves message passing between the kernel,
system, and other programs so that they are no longer islands to
themselves.

Please read up on them at hal.freedesktop.org and dbus.freedesktop.org
and if you have any specific concerns please post to their respective
mailing lists where they can be delt with best.  Hopefully we can
alleviate any of your concerns.

--
J5