REQUEST: Network Interface Failover and multi-DNS resolution

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Tue Aug 17 04:18:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> I have a box with two ethernet cards, each one connected to a
> different local network ("staff" and "students"). Each one of the
> networks has a DNS server to resolve internal names.
>
> The problem is: I can only resolve hosts that are on the eth0 connected LAN
> ("staff"). To access hosts on the other network I have to use their IP
> address directly.
>
> This prompts me to request two features (independent of each other):
>
>  1. be able to resolve names using both DNSes;

Your options are:

1. Get your network administrators to unify DNS so that your internal
delegations are consistent and descend from a common node in DNS,
properly delegated.

failling that:

2. Run a local bind and point it to the appropriate nameservers for
the various internal domains using 'stub' zone definitions.

>  2. that there be some failover for network connections.
>
> By failover I mean being able to define one interface as "primary".
> The primary interface would set the default gateway and all that
> global-unique stuff (including resolv.conf, without feature 1.).
> When that interface goes down, those global settings are changed to
> the ones provided by another active interface. If the primary
> interface goes up again, it restores the initial configuration.

As someone else pointed out, you should be install two default
gateway routes.

The (apparently) screwy DNS setup at your setup may pose problems
though..

regards,
Fortune:
In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd
people.

 	- Linus on MAP_COPY